Many people don’t see the need for a data backup until they have lost their data. And let’s be honest, an extra copy stored in the same PC as the original data isn’t much of a backup, for instance, if it gets stolen or hard drive failure, your primary data together with your backup will be lost. The best backup policy includes an offsite backup location and google drive offers you just that. Apart from being offsite, it also offers 15GB of storage space for free and you can purchase more for few dollars in case you need more. Here is how you can use google to backup your data:
- If you don’t have a google account you can create one here. If you already have one, skip this step.
- Download the Google Drive application for your PC here and install it.
- Start the application and sign in to your google account.
- The next step, the application will prompt you to choose which folders on your PC to automatically synchronize with google drive. Google drive application will monitor those folders and automatically synchronize the modified files. My Documents, Desktop and Photos folders are automatically selected, but if your folders are somewhere else like another drive you use the choose folder option. Google drive also offers you the option to use google photos to backup unlimited videos and photos but you must accept google to compress the photos. If you want that option, select the High Quality (free unlimited storage) option instead of the Original Quality option. And click on the next button.
- On the last step, you choose which documents in your google drive will be downloaded to your PC. You can leave these settings as they are and click the Start Button to get started. All the files on your google drive and on the folders, you selected on step 4 will be automatically synchronized.Using Google Drive for Data Backup
Now, you have a backup which you can rely on in case something happens to your PC. The above method for backup can also be used on other operating systems apart from windows. Feel free to try and drop a comment in case you need some assistance or any addition comments.